I am a glutton for anything lemon flavored. Especially this time of the year.
It just makes me think of sunny skies and warm weather.
I especially like a yummy lemon treat when the treat can be made quickly. And it is honestly hard to beat how easy these cookies are to make.
They might be a little too easy to make if you know what I mean. (is it even possible to make treats too easy to make??)
The great thing about these cookies is that they start with a cake mix. If you have never made cookies before using cake mix, you are truly missing out!
Because cake mix cookies are not only easy to make, they are also the softest cookie you will ever sink your teeth into.
Don’t get me wrong. Most of the time, I love a true cookie texture with all of it’s crumby goodness. But sometimes I crave a soft, velvety, melt in your mouth , smooth as butter cookie that you can only get when starting with a cake mix.
The soft and smooth texture of these cookies pairs perfectly with the lucius lemon flavor too!
And I love the reaction from people after they bite into one of these lemony gems. Their eyes grow wide and they look at you like HOW is it possible that you made something this good in your own kitchen.
And they’ll never have to know how very little time and effort it took you to make these heavenly treats.
It can be our little secret!! 😉
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBLS. lemon juice
- 1 8oz package cream cheese (softened)
- 4 TBLS butter (softened)
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 TBLS. lemon juice
- extra powdered sugar for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, place the cake mix, melted butter, eggs, and lemon juice and mix until blended. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop the cookie dough on a cookie sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper 1 inch apart.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes or just until the cookies begin to slightly brown. (My magic number was nine minutes in my oven) Don't over bake these. You do not want them to be very brown at all.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to set on the cookie sheet for a few minutes. (If you try to remove them right away, they will be too soft and they will lose their shape.)
- While they are still on the cookie tray, use the back of a spoon and press the center of the cookies down slightly to flatten them. This is where the frosting will go.
- Using a spatula, very carefully remove the cookies to a cooling rack and allow them to fully cool before attempting to frost them.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by creaming the cream cheese and butter together in a medium mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar just until incorporated. Blend in the lemon juice.
- When cookies are fully cooled, spoon the frosting into the center of each cookie, allowing it to mound slightly over the top. Dust each cookie with powdered sugar.
- I prefer these cookies to be chilled before eating so I immediately cover them and place them in the refrigerator for at least thirty minutes before serving but they may also be enjoyed at room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining cookies.
- Makes 24 cookies.
Try these other lemony treats:
Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
These cookies look wonderful Renee! Love that they are so easy to make. The blue in the kitchen towel looks perfect with the yellow of the cookies. Pinning!
Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen says
The Husband would LOVE these – he is a huge fan of lemon! Pinned!
they look like yummy cookies!
Layla @ Brunch Time Baker says
I love lemon cookies and these looks delicious! YUM 😀
Thank you Layla!! 🙂
kristy @ the wicked noodle says
I am SO making these for my mom! She loves lemon desserts. And so do I, so I hope some of the batch makes it to her!
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
I loved that you used a box lemon cake mix for this! That is such a good idea! Great for lazy days when I want something sweet, but don’t want to go to a ton of effort. I’m a sucker for lemony desserts too. They might be my favorite kind : )
I love lemon desserts, and these look so lemony and delicious! That glaze looks absutely luscious, too.
I love lemon everything this time of year too! 🙂 These cookies sound divine! And I agree, there’s nothing quite like cake mix cookies!
I love lemon desserts and these cookies look wonderful! I love that you topped them off with lemon cream cheese frosting too – so lemonicious:)