When I pick up my kids from school, the first thing they always ask me is, “What’s for dinner?” My answer to them is always, “food”. 😉
That daily question can sometimes drive me crazy, especially if I haven’t thought about it yet and I’m just planning on driving home and throwing together whatever I can find.
But with how busy our lives are, I have found out that unless I am just going to throw in the towel and order take-out or pizza, it is important to plan ahead.
I love making casseroles for weeknight dinners because they are so easy to throw together. I am also a big fan of using rotisserie chicken in recipes because I can grab it in a pinch.
This Sun dried Tomato, Spinach and Chicken Stuffed Shells is a great meal to make on so many levels. I use rotisserie chicken, it is easy to throw together, and it makes a lot of servingss so I can make a whole extra pan to freeze for another busy day.
When you freeze casseroles, it is best to use a disposable foil pan so you don’t “tie up” one of your better dishes in the freezer. Just cover the top of the pan with foil, label it with the date, and stick it in the freezer for when you are running behind.
You know those days: the ones where you feel like if you had to add one more task to the roster that you might collapse. Yes, those are the days that you will breathe a sigh of relief and remember that you have a ready to cook meal waiting in the freezer!
So be easy on yourself. Plan ahead, keep dishes ready to go in the freezer for busy days, and make this delicious Sun dried Tomato, Spinach and Chicken Stuffed Shells for a quick and delicious dinner! 🙂
- 1 12 oz. box of jumbo shells
- 2 c. cooked chicken (I used rotisserie)
- 1 1/2 c. ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c. parmesan, shredded
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese, divided
- 1 8.5 oz jar of sun dried tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1 10 oz package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 large jar of marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the shells according to package directions but undercook them slightly to make filling them easier. Drain them and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, shred the cooked chicken and add the ricotta, parmesan and 1 cup of the mozzarella/Italian blend cheese, reserving the other cup for later use.
- Drain the sun dried tomatoes, chop them and add them to the mixture.
- Add the spinach and mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Using a large 9x13 baking dish, pour a cup of marinara on the bottom of the pan and fill each shell with the chicken mixture and place the shells in the dish on top of the marinara sauce. Pour the remaining marinara sauce on top of each shell -Note that this recipe makes enough for two pans. Use a disposable foil pan for the second dish, cover with foil and freeze for later use.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and using the reserved cup of mozzarella, sprinkle the top of each shell with the cheese and bake for ten minutes longer.
- Remove from the oven and serve with garlic bread and a side salad.
Try these other dinner ideas: