So I am crazy about brownies. They are my all-time favorite dessert in the world. I like all kinds of brownies. Dense, fudgy brownies, bursting with walnuts. Frosted brownies, brownies with chocolate chips….. you name it, I am hooked. Well today I was craving chocolate AND peanut butter (really, is there a better combination of heavenly sweetness out there?). So I knew I had to get home from work and come up with a fantastic peanut butter swirled brownie recipe.
I knew I wanted a dense, ultra chocolatey, ultra fudgy brownie with an equally dense peanut butter, cream cheese swirl. (Oh yes, I did say cream cheese). The result I came up with is pretty much exactly what I was craving…..and then some! Did I ever mention that I like my desserts rich? Well these brownies are not for the faint of heart when it comes to richness. However, if you are like me and you like your brownies to be bakery style, filled with extra chocolaty, extra peanut buttery goodness, then these are for you!
I was able to surprise my kiddos when they got home from school today with these and the first thing they said was: Peanut Butter brownies? YUM!! And they forgot all about being upset that I didn’t wait for them before I made them (so they could
help lick the bowl) and immediately reached for the biggest bars. They don’t have to worry about missing out this time in the fun of making them. We will definitely be making these again!
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 3/4 c. peanut butter
- 3 TBLS sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 TBLS flour
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 5 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares (coarsely chopped)
- 2oz. semi sweet chocolate squares (coarsely chopped)
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese and peanut butter. Add sugar, eggs, and flour, mixing after each addition. Set aside.
- Place foil in a 9x13 inch pan and spray with baking spray.
- Place butter in a medium microwavable bowl and microwave until melted.
- With a large whisk, slowly whisk chocolate into melted butter until fully melted. (If necessary, place bowl back in microwave for 30 seconds)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, and sugar. Add the chocolate mixture, salt and vanilla and whisk until blended. Finally, add the flour in two additions, whisking until fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and drop peanut butter mixture in 6 dollops over the top. Take a knife and gently swirl through the brownie mixture. (the whole thing will be thick and resemble a motocross course!) It will be very textured.
- Place in the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out fairly clean. The top may look a bit oily due to the peanut butter but the center should be firm and not jiggly. The oil will settle as the brownies cool.
- Remove form oven and allow to cool and rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting into 24 squares. (because this is rich, I like smaller squares as opposed to larger ones