It was my mom’s birthday this past week. (Happy Birthday mom!!) So I decided to make some scrumptious cupcakes. And since I haven’t made anything recently with chocolate and peanut butter lately *shocking*, I decided to make some yummy chocolate and peanut butter swirled cupcakes.
I have to tell you, I knew these would end up tasting great, but they really turned out even better than I expected. The cupcakes themselves are perfectly moist and chocolatey. And the swirled frosting on top is quite simply amazing. The peanut butter frosting is made with cream cheese and coupled with the rich chocolate half is pure chocolate and peanut butter heaven. The miniature peanut butter cup on top gives this cupcake a cute finishing touch.
On the inside of the cupcake is a nice peanut buttery surprise!! Now to be honest with you, I had intended to “swirl” the peanut butter filling with the chocolate cake batter. But the filling was too thick to swirl….which confused me at first because this is the same filling I used in my peanut butter swirled brownies. And the filling swirled perfectly then.
It wasn’t until after I placed the cupcakes in the oven that I realized I forgot to include the egg in the pb filling. Nonetheless, they still turned out delicious. And when I realized I forgot to include the egg in the filling, I used the remainder of it to spread on the kids toast for a sweet treat. Don’t you love it when cooking mishaps turn out better than you originally planned! 😉
If you are a peanut butter and chocolate lover like I am, I promise you will flip over these cupcakes!!!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin and never miss a recipe!
- 1 c. flour
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. cocoa
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. oil
- 3/4 c. strong coffee
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. greek yogurt
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 3/4 c. peanut butter
- 3 TBLS sugar
- 1 egg (optional. With it, you may swirl the filling. Without, it will look like the photo above)
- 3 TBLS flour
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 2 TBLS butter (softened)
- 1/4 c. peanut butter
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 TBLS strong coffee
- 4 TBLS butter, softened
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar, plus more for desired consistency
- 8-9 miniature Reese's peanut butter cups, cut in half.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners. (Makes about 16-18)
- Place all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until blended. Place aside.
- In a medium bowl, place peanut butter ingredients and mix together.
- Assemble the cupcakes by placing a large spoonful of chocolate batter into the bottom of each liner. Place a Tablespoon of peanut butter filling on top of that and finish with a large spoonful of chocolate batter. If you added the egg to the peanut butter filling, you may slightly swirl the batter with a toothpick.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly and then remove cupcakes and cool them on a cooling rack.
- Make the peanut butter frosting by creaming the cream cheese together with the butter in a medium mixing bowl.. Then add the peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar and mix until fluffy. Place aside.
- Make the chocolate frosting by placing the cocoa and hot coffee in a mixing bowl and, using a hand held whisk, whisk it together until a thick mixture is formed.
- Add the butter and vanilla and mix with a mixer until blended. Add the powdered sugar and mix until fluffy and desired consistency is reached.
- For swirled frosting,place the two frostings in two small pastry bags and then put side by side in a large mixing bag with a large tip and pipe frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes as desired. You will have to add more frosting to the bags two or three times.
- Top each cupcake with a half of a miniature peanut butter cup.
Try some of these other chocolate and peanut butter creations.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Swirled Brownies
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosted Chocolate Cake
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting says
Umm yes, I would totally flip over these cupcakes! Pinning!
Thanks for the pin Julianne! 🙂
These look and sound absolutely divine! Love peanut butter and chocolate- definitely going to give the recipe ago.
Thank you Jess! 🙂
Consuelo @ Honey & Figs says
These cupcakes have me drooling all over the place… chocolate + peanut butter? Oh boy, do they sound awesome! I love these 🙂
Thank you Consuelo! I am a big chocolate and peanut butter lover myself!! 🙂
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
These cupcakes look absolutely stunning! I could have 12 of these in one sitting!
I like how you think Jocelyn!! 🙂
Zainab @ Blahnik Baker says
Oooo a surprise peanut butter cup in the cupcakes!! Love these!!
Thank you Zainab!! 🙂
Gloria // Simply Gloria says
Oh Renee, just keep bringing on this chocolate and pb action! I hope your mom had such a wonderful day! Loving how you created these gorgeous cupcakes… and the frosting!
She had a great birthday with most of her kids and grandkids all around her! And we all gobbled up the cupcakes! 😉
WOW all of these look amazing! I want the cookie now!
Thank you Sandra!! 🙂
These cupcakes look fantastic Renee! I love the swirled frosting and the peanut butter filling. I always have room for chocolate and peanut butter 🙂 Hope your mom had a great birthday 🙂
Thank you Kelly! She had a very nice birthday!! 🙂
Graham @ Glazed & Confused says
There’s literally nothing better than the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. I can only imagine how amazing these are!
Thanks so much!! 🙂
These look amazing! I still haven’t tried the two toned frosting yet, but it’s on my list. It looks so pretty. 🙂
Thank you friend! Two toned frosting is surprisingly quite easy, though a bit messy. Totally worth it!! 😉
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
These cupcakes are right up my alley Renee! Love chocolate and peanut butter together 🙂 Pinned!
Thank you for the pin Trish! 🙂
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
I’m swooning right now!! Happy birthday to your mom!
Thank you Dorothy! I’ll tell her you said so!! 🙂
Kristen Edwards says
Those look perfect. Gorgeous picture! I have a peanut butter obsessed husband so I need to try these.
Thanks Kristen. I’m the peanut butter obsessed one in my family!! 😉
Apparently we were both baking birthday cupcakes recently! Ha. These look SO delicious, Renee — that swirl is gorgeous, and I love that peanut butter surprise! Pinning.
I love it when birthdays come around! It’s so fun to think of pretty cakes or cupcakes to make!! Thanks for the pin Marcie!! 🙂
Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE says
Where do I begin!?!? First off, that swirl…my goodness. Perfection? Chocolate and Peanut Butter go together better than…well ANYTHING. I have made so many cupcakes lately..kind of obsessed. Theres a lot going on in this one and it looks fun to make. My birthday is coming up…I might just have to make these for myself. Good excuse right? 🙂
Thank you so much Kelly! Yes, I even like to bake for my own birthday too!! 🙂
Melissa @ Bless this Mess says
Holy moly these look awesome! I love how you piped the icing… that swirl makes me drool! So pleased to have connected at BYBC! And I can’t wait to start digging into your archives, you have some awesome recipes.
Melissa! It was SO fun chatting with you at BYBC! Thank you so much for the compliments!! I look forward to keeping in touch! 🙂
Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats says
Wow those look fantastic! I love anything with Chocolate and PB!
Thanks so much Julie! You and me both! 😉
Amy Tong says
I’m not too crazy about peanut butter…but your Chocolate PB Swirled Cupcakes changed my mind. These are so gorgeous and decadent. Oh my…I wish I got a couple of them in my hands now! 😛
So glad I changed your mind! 😉
simply h squared says
Chocolate + peanut butter = perfection 🙂
Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner says
Peanut butter + chocolate = amazing! These cupcakes are so so pretty. 🙂 I love the surprise in the middle of the cupcake!!
PS, just started following you on twitter now. 🙂
Thank you for the follow Tina. I’m still trying to figure Twitter out! 😉
These cupcakes look FANTASTIC
Thank you for the pin Winnie! 🙂
Anna (Hidden Ponies) says
These are gooorrrrgeous, and I love the little surprise inside!
Thank you Anna! 🙂
Nina @ Crazy for Cookies and More says
Oh Yes I will take one please. I love peanut butter and chocolate. The swirled icing is really neat on these cupcakes!
Love the surprise inside! Especially since it is peanut butter! Thanks for linking up with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!
Thanks Karly! 🙂
What scrumptious cupcakes!! I am in love with that frosting! 😉
Thank you Jocelyn. The frosting IS the best part for sure! 🙂
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl says
So I’m in all sorts of crazy love with these cupcakes!
Thank you Pamela!! 🙂
Laura @ Over The Apple Tree says
And this is why you don’t browse the internet when you’re hungry…if I had these right now I would totally be eating them for breakfast!
Over The Apple Tree