It was my mom’s birthday this past week. (Happy Birthday mom!!) So I decided to make some scrumptious cupcakes. And since I haven’t made anything recently with chocolate and peanut butter lately *shocking*, I decided to make some yummy chocolate and peanut butter swirled cupcakes.
I have to tell you, I knew these would end up tasting great, but they really turned out even better than I expected. The cupcakes themselves are perfectly moist and chocolatey. And the swirled frosting on top is quite simply amazing. The peanut butter frosting is made with cream cheese and coupled with the rich chocolate half is pure chocolate and peanut butter heaven. The miniature peanut butter cup on top gives this cupcake a cute finishing touch.
On the inside of the cupcake is a nice peanut buttery surprise!! Now to be honest with you, I had intended to “swirl” the peanut butter filling with the chocolate cake batter. But the filling was too thick to swirl….which confused me at first because this is the same filling I used in my peanut butter swirled brownies. And the filling swirled perfectly then.
It wasn’t until after I placed the cupcakes in the oven that I realized I forgot to include the egg in the pb filling. Nonetheless, they still turned out delicious. And when I realized I forgot to include the egg in the filling, I used the remainder of it to spread on the kids toast for a sweet treat. Don’t you love it when cooking mishaps turn out better than you originally planned! 😉
Follow my blog with Bloglovin and never miss a recipe!
- 1 c. flour
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/3 c. cocoa
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. oil
- 3/4 c. strong coffee
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. greek yogurt
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 3/4 c. peanut butter
- 3 TBLS sugar
- 1 egg (optional. With it, you may swirl the filling. Without, it will look like the photo above)
- 3 TBLS flour
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 2 TBLS butter (softened)
- 1/4 c. peanut butter
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 TBLS strong coffee
- 4 TBLS butter, softened
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar, plus more for desired consistency
- 8-9 miniature Reese's peanut butter cups, cut in half.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners. (Makes about 16-18)
- Place all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until blended. Place aside.
- In a medium bowl, place peanut butter ingredients and mix together.
- Assemble the cupcakes by placing a large spoonful of chocolate batter into the bottom of each liner. Place a Tablespoon of peanut butter filling on top of that and finish with a large spoonful of chocolate batter. If you added the egg to the peanut butter filling, you may slightly swirl the batter with a toothpick.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly and then remove cupcakes and cool them on a cooling rack.
- Make the peanut butter frosting by creaming the cream cheese together with the butter in a medium mixing bowl.. Then add the peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar and mix until fluffy. Place aside.
- Make the chocolate frosting by placing the cocoa and hot coffee in a mixing bowl and, using a hand held whisk, whisk it together until a thick mixture is formed.
- Add the butter and vanilla and mix with a mixer until blended. Add the powdered sugar and mix until fluffy and desired consistency is reached.
- For swirled frosting,place the two frostings in two small pastry bags and then put side by side in a large mixing bag with a large tip and pipe frosting onto the fully cooled cupcakes as desired. You will have to add more frosting to the bags two or three times.
- Top each cupcake with a half of a miniature peanut butter cup.
Try some of these other chocolate and peanut butter creations.