Who is ready for the 4th of July? In all honesty, I have mixed feelings about it being just a little over 2 weeks away. I mean, in many ways I just LOVE it. But in other ways, it always makes me feel like half the summer is over. And since summer really just began, I am simply not ready for that feeling yet.
But I decided that I am going to embrace the excitement of the Holiday and push my pessimistic feelings to the side. So with that in mind, I knew I needed to get some recipes ready!
These Patriotic Sugar Cookie bars are an easy and fun treat to make. Which is perfect because the 4th is busy enough without spending inordinate amounts of time making treats.
For these simple sugar cookie bars, I used Patriotic M+M’s which I found at Target but you could also order them on Amazon. I also sprinkled them with some Red White And Blue Jimmies for a fun festive look!
Throwing these sugar cookie bars in a pan is so much easier than rolling and cutting them out with cookie cutters! It’s SUCH a time saver.
The 4th of July really is one of my favorite holidays of the year. I love getting to the parade in the morning and watching my kids scramble to grab as much candy as possible.
Do they still throw candy at your neighborhood parade? I’ve had people tell me in other states that their village no longer throws candy because of safety issues. Which I can totally understand because the kids at our parade will often run right into the parade to grab the rogue candy that didn’t quite make it to the curb. It almost gives me a heart attack!
But for now, our parade still throws candy. And I mean LOTS of it!! Seriously, when I was young, I remember being lucky to get a handful of candy at the parade. But now, people literally drop FISTFULS of candy at my kids feet. I’m not kidding: Look at the loot my three kids brought home last year!!
We were eating this stuff till Halloween!
After the parade, it is always back to our house for a picnic and a pool party!
And trust me, these Patriotic Sugar Cookies will be gone in an instant! -Maybe even before lunch is served! 😉
I hope you all enjoy your 4th of July weekend this year with some yummy eats and treats. These Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars will easily help liven up your holiday spread! 🙂
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase through one of these links, Two in the Kitchen makes a small percentage of the proceeds without further cost to you. We only promote items that we ourselves use and love. All opinions are 100% our own. We thank you for your support as it helps us to continue giving you great recipes through our blog!
- 1/2 c.unsalted butter (softened)
- 1c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 c. Patriotic M+M's (divided)
- sprinkles (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees and foil and grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the flour, mixing in three additions and mix in the salt and baking soda in between the flour additions, mixing until all is incorporated. Using a large wooden spoon, mix in 1 cup of the M+M's
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan and press the remaining half cup of M+M's onto the top of the batter. Sprinkle sprinkles on top. (optional)
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing into 24 bars.
Here are some other summer ideas: