I am so glad that it’s finally summer! Longer days, outside living and hanging out all day at the pool sounds like fun to me!
The kids and I are so much more active during the summer. So that means I can eat more cupcakes right?? Because with all the summer activities, I will just burn off the calories right?? -ya see how my logic works? I’ll come up with any excuse to be able to eat more sweets!!
These cupcakes are fun because with the chocolate and vanilla swirl, it is truly the best of both worlds.
When I was younger, I always chose the chocolate and vanilla swirl cone because I couldn’t decide which flavor I wanted the most. Isn’t it great when you can have everything you want??
The swirled frosting on top of these cupcakes remind me of those yummy swirled cones I used to have as a kid. It is truly the icing on the cake!!
It is also just a lot of fun to make swirled frosting on a cupcake. If you have never done it before, it is quite easy. You simply take two regular sized Wilton frosting bags and fill one with chocolate frosting and one with vanilla frosting. Then you fit a large Wilton bag with a star tip and place the two smaller frosting filled bags into the larger one. As you squeeze the frosting out of the bag and go around the cupcake, it will swirl.
Cool, right!! 🙂
It’s summer!! Have a blast outside. And eat more cupcakes!! 😉
Have you subscribed to our newsletter yet? If you haven’t, you need to because you will receive a free copy of my recipe e-Book, Every Day Brownies and Bars. It’s simple. Just click the link below. Happy baking!!
These kitchen tools from Amazon will help you make this recipe!
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase through one of these links, Two in the Kitchen makes a small percentage of the proceeds without further cost to you. We only promote items that we ourselves use and love. All opinions are 100% our own. We thank you for your support as it helps us to continue giving you great recipes through our blog!
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix plus ingredients as per package directions
- 1 box of vanilla cake mix plus ingredients as per package directions
- 2 8 oz. package of cream cheese
- 6 TBSP. butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 t. vanilla
- 2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350*
- Mix the chocolate cake mix according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Mix the vanilla cake mix according to package instructions. Set aside
- Place liners in a cupcake pan and layer the chocolate and vanilla batter together 3/4 full in each liner.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to fully cool.
- In the meantime, make the frosting. Prepare the frosting by creaming the butter and cream cheese together in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar, salt and vanilla. Add more powdered sugar as needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Remove about half of the frosting into another bowl. This will be the vanilla frosting.
- In the remaining frosting, mix in the cocoa powder until incorporated.
- Fill 2 regular sized frosting bags with vanilla frosting in one and chocolate frosting in the other. Fit an extra large frosting bag with a large star tip. Place the two frosting filled bags inside the larger bag and generously pipe the frosting on the cupcakes in a swirled pattern.
- Makes approximately 48 cupcakes.
Try these similar recipes: