Calling all peanut butter and caramel lovers: I have the Ultimate cookie for YOU!!! These amazing peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are covered with a caramel drizzle and stuffed with delicious Rollos!! Oh. My. Heavens!!
So I was inspired to create these dream cookies after our family trip to Disney World last month. You know, the place where ‘dreams come true’!! (You can read about our trip here.)
In the German pavilion at Epcot, I indulged in these amazing peanut butter, caramel drizzled cookies (below).
They were fabulous! So when I got home, I immediately set out to recreate these beauties! And let me tell you: These cookies turned out phenomenal!!
In fact, I have to say that they are the best cookies I have ever made! And, I think I improved them even from the original inspiration.
Here is why they are even better: When I bit into those beautiful cookies at Epcot, I was expecting them to be filled with caramel, not just covered with them.
So after taking several bites, I was a little disappointed that my teeth didn’t sink into any caramel on the inside of the cookie.
Nooo, that didn’t stop me from devouring the whole thing. ;) But it did get my wheels spinning about what I could do to add a caramel surprise inside as well as outside the cookie.
The answer: Rolos!! Stuffing a cookie with a Rolo is so super easy and the result is dynamite!!
I love seeing people’s reactions when they bite into the cookie, and their eyes go wide and they ask: ”What is the liquidy, delicious center in this cookie made from??” (They can’t quite place it!)
They are always surprised when I explain that it is simply a Rolo stuffed in the center!
If you are a caramel and peanut butter fan, I’m telling you, you will flip for these cookies!! And you can make them in the comfort of your own home. No traveling to Disney World required!! ;)
- 1/2 c. quick oatmeal
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 1 c. peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 12 oz. bag of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag of Rolos, unwrapped. (you need 30-35)
- 18 Werther's baking caramels, unwrapped
- 6 TBLS whipping cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Place the oatmeal in the bowl of a food processor (or use a 'Magic Bullet') and pulse until the oatmeal is ground up fine.
- Place the ground oatmeal in a medium bowl and stir it in with both sugars. Put aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Put aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and peanut butter. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Alternately, mix in the sugar mixture and the flour mixture just until incorporated.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Using a large cookie scoop, (1 1/2-2 TBLS) scoop out cookie dough and flatten in your hand. Place an unwrapped Rolo in the center of the dough and wrap the dough around it. Place it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat. Place each cookie a couple inches apart on the cookie sheet. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until they begin to slightly brown. Do not over bake.
- Allow the cookies to cool for a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet before removing the cookies to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the caramels and whipping cream over medium heat and stir together until smooth.
- Spoon the caramel over the cookies, or use a ziploc bag, cutting a hole in the corner to drizzle the caramel more evenly over the cookies.
- Leave some cookies without the drizzle if you prefer.
- Makes 30-35 cookies
Try these similar recipes: