Yes, I know that technically with the first of the year we are all supposed to be eating healthier and all. And I actually am beginning to eat better than I had been during the holiday season. But we all need a little indulgence in our lives right? Right!
Well, I am just in the mood lately for some bar type cookies and butterscotch is one of my favorite flavors. Granted I have a lot of favorite flavors when it comes to sweets. Chocolate, lemon, mint, raspberry…… and butterscotch definitely ranks up there with them.
When I was a kid, my grandmother used to give us kids lifesavers to suck on in church. (You know…..back when there was no kids church and we had to sit there during the whole hour and a half adult program quiet as can be with no I pads, Angry Birds or cell phones to keep us occupied! ;)
Well my favorite flavor lifesaver was alway butterscotch. And you know what? I have searched high and low as an adult and I never have found those butterscotch lifesavers….maybe they stopped making them. What a shame!
But I can indulge my butterscotch cravings with these delicious Butterscotch and Toffee Gooey Brownie Bars! Now let’s talk about these beauties for a moment. Can you see the crackly crust on the top? That is what makes them brownies. But inside they are ooey, and gooey with chocolate chips and toffee chips to give them an interesting contrast in both taste and texture.
Condensed milk poured in the middle of the bars gives them a nice gooey component that I find very satisfying.
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- 1c. brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 c. chopped pecans
- 1/2 c. condensed milk
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 c. toffee chips (I used Heath's Bit o' Brickle)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 pan or the likes (I used an 11x7) with parchment paper or foil and spray with baking spray.
- Place butter and butterscotch chips in a medium sized microwavable bowl and microwave for 45 seconds and use a rubber spatula to mush it up. Microwave another 30 seconds and then mush it together till smooth. Place aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, egg and vanilla and then add the butterscotch mixture and mix together with a spatula.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and then incorporate it into the brownie mixture until fully incorporated. Carefully stir in the chopped pecans.
- Pour half the brownie mixture into the pan and press into the bottom of the pan with your hands. Pour the condensed milk over the top and spread evenly. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and toffee chips evenly over the top, and press the rest of the brownie mixture evenly on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the center of the brownies becomes firm and not jiggly. The sides will be set and slightly brown. And there will be a distinct crackly texture on top of the brownies.
- Remove from the oven and allow to FULLY cool before cutting into them. It is VERY important not to cut into these bars too early or your gooey bars will make a gooey mess! The bars must have a chance to firm up and settle before cutting into them. Wait at least an hour or even longer so the bars have a good long chance to set!!
- Makes 12 bars.