I have to tell you all that I am in complete denial. I am NOT ready to admit that summer is over and that fall is here.
Not just on it’s way……but here. I truly just loved this past summer SO much that I am not ready to say goodbye to lazy days spent by the pool, soaking up sunshine while enjoying all the delicious flavors that come from food straight off the grill.
So I am posting this bruschetta recipe to remind me of what a yummy flavorful summer it has been! And if your garden was anything like ours, I have to say that tomatoes grew very well this year.
Maybe it had something to do with the cooler weather. In fact, maybe your garden still has tomatoes left. We just picked the last of ours. And with some fresh basil to go with it, bruschetta is just an obvious choice.
With a few simple ingredients, and a little bit of prep and grilling time, bruschetta is such a simple appetizer to make. And when you have fresh ingredients, it is so juicy and flavorful, I always wonder why we don’t make it more often!
Oh, and I’ll give you a little hint to make it even easier for you: Whenever we get a baguette from the grocery store, we ask them to run it through their bread slicer at the bakery so that the slices will be nice and even. They are always happy to help!!
So before you drag out your pumpkins and scarecrows, I hope you enjoy the last of what summer has to offer! I know I am!! 🙂
- 4-5 large roma tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 leaves of basil
- olive oil
- cracked black pepper
- 1 baguette
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and dice them. Place them in a medium bowl.
- Mice the garlic cloves and place in the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Slice the basil in thin ribbons and likewise, place in the bowl.
- Add a couple of drizzles of olive oil to the bowl and sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper. Toss all the ingredients together and set aside while you grill the bread.
- Slice the bread if you did not already get it sliced at your grocery store and grill each side.
- Top each slice of bread generously with the tomato mixture and serve immediately.
Try these other appetizers: