I don’t know about you, but in our family, we eat tacos on a regular basis! We like all kinds of tacos.
My kids ask me all the time for just regular old ground beef tacos with cheese in a hard shell.
My husband often grills up some yummy steak tacos on the weekend and I will sometimes make homemade tortillas to accompany them. Check out this recipe for Tri-tip tacos if that appeals to you!
On weeknights, I like to make tacos that are quick, easy and flavorful. So when I saw these chicken tacos in a Paula Deen magazine I knew I had to give them a try.
These Spicy Chicken Tacos are based on a Paula Deen recipe called Santa Fe Spicy Chicken Tacos with a Jalapeno Slaw. I have to tell you that they turned out quite yummy!
They were quick and easy to make, didn’t involve a lot of prep and most importantly, were full of summer flavor!
As much as I normally like a soft shell taco, the crunch of these stand up, Old El Paso shells really worked well with this recipe.
For a weeknight, fast, easy and flavorful meal, you can’t go wrong with these delicious Spicy Chicken Tacos for fresh summer flavor!
- 1 10 oz bag of angel hair coleslaw mix
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 TBLS fresh lime juice
- 1 t. honey
- 1/4 t. salt
- 4 TBLS vegetable oil
- 3 pounds of chicken tenders
- 2-3 TBLSP of jerk, Montreal or spicy seasoning
- 10-12 taco shells (I used Old El Paso Stand 'n Stuff
- 1 8 oz bag of Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese blend
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 TBLS lime juice
- 1/2 t. cumin
- In a medium bowl, toss all ingredients together, and cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Sprinkle all sides of the chicken with the seasoning.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and add half the chicken tenders to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes per side until the chicken is cooked through. Repeat with the remaining chicken and place all chicken aside for at least ten minutes before slicing the chicken into 1/2 inch slices.
- Stir together the sour cream, lime juice and cumin in a small bowl.
- Divide the chicken among the taco shells and top with cheese, sour cream mixture, and jalapeno slaw and serve immediately.
Try these other Mexican inspired dishes: