I don’t know about you, but in our family, we eat tacos on a regular basis! We like all kinds of tacos.
My kids ask me all the time for just regular old ground beef tacos with cheese in a hard shell.
My husband often grills up some yummy steak tacos on the weekend and I will sometimes make homemade tortillas to accompany them. Check out this recipe for Tri-tip tacos if that appeals to you!
On weeknights, I like to make tacos that are quick, easy and flavorful. So when I saw these chicken tacos in a Paula Deen magazine I knew I had to give them a try.
These Spicy Chicken Tacos are based on a Paula Deen recipe called Santa Fe Spicy Chicken Tacos with a Jalapeno Slaw. I have to tell you that they turned out quite yummy!
They were quick and easy to make, didn’t involve a lot of prep and most importantly, were full of summer flavor!
As much as I normally like a soft shell taco, the crunch of these stand up, Old El Paso shells really worked well with this recipe.
For a weeknight, fast, easy and flavorful meal, you can’t go wrong with these delicious Spicy Chicken Tacos for fresh summer flavor!
- 1 10 oz bag of angel hair coleslaw mix
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 TBLS fresh lime juice
- 1 t. honey
- 1/4 t. salt
- 4 TBLS vegetable oil
- 3 pounds of chicken tenders
- 2-3 TBLSP of jerk, Montreal or spicy seasoning
- 10-12 taco shells (I used Old El Paso Stand 'n Stuff
- 1 8 oz bag of Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese blend
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 TBLS lime juice
- 1/2 t. cumin
- In a medium bowl, toss all ingredients together, and cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Sprinkle all sides of the chicken with the seasoning.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and add half the chicken tenders to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes per side until the chicken is cooked through. Repeat with the remaining chicken and place all chicken aside for at least ten minutes before slicing the chicken into 1/2 inch slices.
- Stir together the sour cream, lime juice and cumin in a small bowl.
- Divide the chicken among the taco shells and top with cheese, sour cream mixture, and jalapeno slaw and serve immediately.
Try these other Mexican inspired dishes:
We love to eat tacos for weeknight dinners. That jalapeno slaw sounds amazing Renee! Slaw gives such a nice crunch to tacos.
Your family sounds like ours Christin! Thank you!
Tacos are always a hit in our house, and these look so good! I love the soud of that slaw!
Thank you Marcie!! 🙂
Consuelo - Honey & Figs says
We love tacos at home as well! So much that they never make it to the pictures hahaha. This version looks absolutely summery and delicious 🙂
My family adores taco night! I think they would look forward to it even more if I were to make these good-lookin’ chicken tacos! That jalapeno slaw looks like perfection! Pinned. 😉
Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron says
I LOVE chicken tacos and love that these are spicy! Plus hard shell tacos are the best! Pinned 🙂
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
Spicy definitely caught my eye! I love my foods with spice and these would be no exception. Gorgeous tacos!
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
Oh how I just love tacos! The flavor possibilities are endless! My husband would love these spicy chicken tacos, he can’t get enough spice!
These look fantastic Renee! My family loves tacos and these spicy chicken ones would be a hit at our house for sure! The jalapeno slaw sounds amazing!