It is the middle of October and I am all ready for pumpkin! I feel like the fall is already moving so fast. I’m sure that this feeling has a lot to do with the fact that we are moving in just a few short weeks. If you didn’t see my last post, I announced that my family and I are moving to our dream house, or at least our dream kitchen I should say. I so can’t wait till we are there and I can start baking up a storm with my new appliances. *sigh…
While I am waiting, there is always pumpkin to keep me occupied. How many pumpkin recipes have you made so far this season? For me, I have made pumpkin pancakes and these amazingly delicious pumpkin bars.
Pumpkin bars are one of my favorite pumpkin recipes. I simply can’t pass up the combination of pumpkin cake and cream cheese frosting. Especially when the cake is thick, moist, and buttery.
I got this pumpkin bar recipe out of an old farm cookbook and let me tell you, it is one of my favorite versions because I think it is a little thicker than your average pumpkin bars. And in my opinion, the thicker the better when it comes to cake. These bars are truly heavenly.
I love the smell of the pumpkin and spices all baking in the oven and filling the house with such a sweet aroma. It truly isn’t fall to me until I smell pumpkin baking in the kitchen!
I hope you are enjoying fall. If you haven’t made a pumpkin recipe yet, I highly encourage you to try these amazing pumpkin bars. It will bring fall right into your own kitchen! 🙂
These great kitchen tools will help you make this recipe:
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase through one of these links, Two in the Kitchen makes a small percentage of the proceeds without further cost to you. We only promote items that we ourselves use and love. All opinions are 100% our own. We thank you for your support as it helps us to continue giving you great recipes through our blog!
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 c. pureed pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie mix
- 3/4 c. melted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 6 T. butter, softened
- 1 T. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- additional milk as per desired consistency
- 1 bag of mallow pumpkins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Foil and spray a jelly roll style pan (10x15) with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, sugar, pumpkin and butter until creamy.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- Mix the flour mixture in the pumpkin mixture in three additions, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Cream together the cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth
- Add the powdered sugar in several additions, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Add more milk, a tablespoon at a time until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cake. Top with mallow pumpkin candies if desired, slice and serve.
Try these other pumpkin treats:
Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Parfaits
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
I’m ready for pumpkin and can’t wait to try these bars! They look gorgeous ! Love all the other pumpkin treats, too!
Thank you Mira, pumpkin is the best thing right now!! 🙂
I’m with you, pumpkin bars are one of my very favorite pumpkin treats. I’ll take them over pumpkin pie any day!
Kara recently posted…Halloween Recipe: Bloodshot Eyeball Cookies
Oh I totally agree Kara! I really only eat pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, but bars covered in cream cheese…..any day of the week!! 😉
Sarah @Whole and Heavenly Oven says
I’m a total sucker for pumpkin bars smothered in cream cheese frosting! These beauties are speaking STRAIGHT to me right now! I think I need to try these this weekend!
Sarah @Whole and Heavenly Oven recently posted…Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein Smoothie
You are so just like me Sarah! I’ll take pretty much any thing smothered in cream cheese frosting!! 🙂
Oh boy — moving is a lot of work! Moving into your dream kitchen sounds like a worthwhile move though — congrats! These pumpkin bars look delicious, Renee — they’re one of my favorite pumpkin treats!
Marcie recently posted…Snickerdoodle Sandwich Cookies
Congrats on getting your dream kitchen. That is so incredibly exciting! I can’t wait to see what you do with all the new appliances and fun times. Really happy for you!
These look great, not to mention cute. Fantastic!
Mir recently posted…Halloween Candy Bark
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy says
These are so cute. I am just so excited for all the pumpkin recipes around at the moment, especially the pumpkin desserts.
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy recently posted…Comment on Mexican Tortilla Soup by Dannii