I love starting my day with a nice sweet breakfast.
Donuts, coffee cakes, french toast, cinnamon rolls. You name it. If it’s sweet, it’s got my name written all over it.
There is a breakfast place near my house that we go to a lot on Sunday mornings after church. And my son always gets this amazing french toast that is crusted with Cap’n Crunch cereal and stuffed with bananas and strawberries and covered in a strawberry glaze. It is sensational…..and I always ‘help’ him finish it. 😉
So I decided to recreate this at home, with a few substitutions. I decided to stuff mine with Nutella. I mean seriously, can you think of a better thing to stuff french toast with than Nutella?!?
This Nutella and Banana Stuffed Cap’n Crunch Crusted French Toast turned out amazing!
I used nice thick slices of Challah bread, spread it with Nutella and loaded it with banana slices, sandwiched it up and dipped it in a cinnamon egg mixture, crusted it with Cap’n Crunch pieces and seared it in a skillet.
The result: Sensational!!
Now I honestly never eat Cap’n Crunch out of the box but let me tell you, when it is crusted on french toast, it gives a nice crunchy, sweet texture to the bread and it really goes perfectly with the Nutella and bananas.
And after doing a little research on line, even though I have never seen the episode, it looks like Guy Fieri’s show Diners, Drive ins, and Dives, has made Cap’n Crunch crusted french toast a phenomenon. And after using it myself, I can see why!
The result is a nice, textured and crunchy outside with a soft and gooey inside, loaded with Nutella and bananas.
Don’t you wish this plate was sitting in front of you now?
Well get to your kitchen and get crackin!! This french toast is easy to assemble and yummy for your taste buds. Enjoy!! 🙂
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 3 TB sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 3 c. Cap'n Crunch cereal
- 8 slices of Challah bread or the likes
- 1 1/2 c. Nutella
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 c. butter
- maple syrup (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and cream together with a whisk and then add the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and beat together until blended. Set aside.
- Spread Nutella on one side of a slice of bread. Place 6-7 slices of banana on top. Spread Nutella on another slice of bread and sandwich it together with the one with banana slices so that it is 'stuffed'. (The outside of both pieces should be plain) Repeat this process with the remaining slices so there are four sandwiches.
- Place the Cap'n Crunch cereal in a large Ziploc bag and coarsely crush it with a rolling pin. Dump out on a large plate.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture so that the whole sandwich is submerged. Take out of the mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Place the sandwich in the Cap'n Crunch mixture and coat with the crumbs making sure to get the sides as well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt a couple pats of butter. Place a sandwich in the pan and heat for a couple minutes before doing the same with the other side. Carefully try and sear the sides as well if possible. When both sides have a good sear on it, remove from the heat.
- place on a plate, slice in half and drizzle some maple syrup, Nutella and banana slices on top if desired and serve. Repeat the process with remaining sandwiches.
Try these other Breakfast Ideas: