Well I don’t know what it was like for everyone else, but that was the coldest Halloween I ever remember experiencing!!
It actually snowed in the morning…. on Halloween!!!! We aren’t talking about Thanksgiving here. We are talking the end of October.
Needless to say, my kids and I got around exactly 2 blocks of Trick or Treating before we were all ready to get inside and find some warmth. Brrrrrr…. I am glad that’s over!
Now let’s talk dinner. I’m talking about quick and easy dinners. The kind where you have been working all day and you get home and you have several eager mouths to feed.
By the way; What time do you and your family normally eat dinner? In our family, we are early dinner eaters. If I can get dinner on the table around 4:30 in my house, that is perfectly acceptable. In fact, if it’s getting close to 6:30, and I still haven’t served dinner, the kids just might riot!
This is why I say that during the week, the quicker it is to prepare dinner, the less stress there is on all our lives!
Therefore, casseroles really hit the bill in my family. I have a lot of cooking magazines on my bookshelf to help me come up with ideas. And while perusing the other day, I came across this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole recipe in a Pillsbury magazine and I knew I had found a winner.
Starting with refrigerated crescent rolls as the base, this dish takes chicken strips (or rotisserie chicken. Your choice) slices of deli ham, muenster cheese and a mustard sauce and combines it all together to make one yummy dinner.
Several of these items are my kids favorite things. So this casserole really is a no brainer in my household. Serve it up with a side salad and you are golden. (If only my kids would eat salad!! 😉 )
I served this up for the kiddos and sure enough; it was a HIT!! I love it when the kids are smiling at the table and thanking me instead of complaining! It is music to my ears!! 🙂
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated non- perforated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds of deli cooked chicken tenders or fully cooked frozen chicken tenders (thawed), cut into 1 inch pieces or rotisserie chicken meat, shredded
- 16 slices muenster cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 lb thinly sliced cooked brown-sugar or maple-glazed ham (from deli)
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Unroll crescent rolls in bottom of baking dish; Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Stir in cut-up chicken tenders and cook for 2 additional minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place 8 slices of the muenster cheese over baked crust. In small bowl, stir parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, honey, until well blended. Spoon half of the mayonnaise mixture evenly over cheese on crust.
- Spoon chicken mixture evenly over mustard mixture on crust. Spoon remaining mustard mixture evenly over chicken. spread the ham slices evenly over the chicken. Top with remaining 8 slices muenster cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and develops a slight crust and filling is thoroughly heated.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Recipe slightly adapted from Pillsbury
Try these other easy dinners: