I’m actually quite picky about my carrot cake. I don’t like any kind of raisins, nuts or pineapple in my carrot cake. I like the carrots sliced nice and thin and in short, I like the cake’s texture to be as smooth as possible.
As for the spices in carrot cake, I like to taste the cinnamon and nutmeg but I don’t like it to be overpowering.
So yes, I am picky about my carrot cake. But with all that said, I really do LOVE carrot cake -when it’s made in the right parameters! 😉
This coffee cake is based off of my Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake (Which, by the way, has been the most popular recipe on my entire blog!!)
This coffee cake is moist, topped with a cinnamon streusel topping and has a nice mild flavor of spices and sweetness. My children and I (even one who doesn’t like carrots) absolutely gobbled this cake up.
If you are looking for a different way to enjoy carrot cake this season, give this Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake a try.
Or try one of these carrot ideas from some of my blogger friends:
Carrot Cake Roll– Crazy for Crust
Carrot Cake Cookie Cups -Chelsea’s Messy Apron
Carrot Cake Magic Bars – Inside Brucrew Life
Carrot Cake Muffins – Flavor the Moments
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 4 TB. Butter
- 1 1/2 c. julienned carrots sliced thin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 2 TB butter
- 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- 2 TB milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Make cream cheese filling by placing all filling ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated. Put aside.
- Spray an 8x8 pan, or the likes (I used an 11x7 ceramic dish) with baking spray.
- Make the cake by placing flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir together until incorporated. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until incorporated and the mixture is "crumb-y". Stir in the carrots
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and use a large wooden spoon to stir the mixture just until combined. (Mixture will be a bit lumpy)
- Using the large wooden spoon, spread half the cake mixture on the bottom of the sprayed pan. Then spread the cream cheese filling evenly on top of that. Finally, drop the remaining cake mixture on top of the cream cheese layer and spread it as evenly as possible across the top. (you will not be able to spread it all across the top. It is ok if some cream cheese shows through)
- Make the crumb topping by placing all ingredients in a medium bowl and, using a fork cut the butter into the ingredients until crumbs are formed. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Halfway through, you may want to cover it with foil so the crumb topping does not burn.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes or so and then make the drizzle by placing powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and mixing it up with a spoon. Drizzle over the top and serve.
- Makes 12 servings.
Try these other great coffee cakes!