Yes it is November. Yes it is still more than two weeks before Thanksgiving. And yes, I am already craving peppermint. Maybe it is because it snowed yesterday, but I am already itching to get my Christmas decorations out and start my holiday baking. So since I had the day off for Veteran’s Day (Thank God for our veterans!) I decided to start my holiday baking early. I don’t normally like to see a lot of Christmas decorations in the store this early in November but I have to admit, that I was happy to see the aisles and aisles of holiday baking products at Target yesterday so I could easily find what I was looking for.
For my peppermint fix, I knew I wasn’t looking for something over the top. Just a little sweet treat with just the right amount of mint….nothing overpowering. I also wanted my treat quickly….so no frosting because that always adds a few extra steps to the process and it just wasn’t what I was in the mood for. Brownies, therefore were the perfect option for me. I made them dense and extra fudgey(just the way I like my brownies) and added a layer of Andes peppermints in the middle. These peppermint brownies are the perfect combination of fudgey chocolate, and refreshing peppermint. They are a snap to make (they can be prepared in about 20 minutes) and they give just the right amount of holiday color to give these brownies a special look. These peppermint brownies will be the perfect holiday treat to bring along to festive gatherings that will cost you very little fuss in their preparation. And the result is pure chocolatey and minty deliciousness!
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 5 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares (coarsely chopped)
- 2oz. semi sweet chocolate squares (coarsely chopped)
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 3 packages of Andes Peppermint mints (about 80 mints)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap the mints and place aside.
- Place foil in a 9x13 inch pan and spray with baking spray.
- Place butter in a medium microwavable bowl and microwave until melted.
- With a large whisk, slowly whisk chocolate into melted butter until fully melted. (If necessary, place bowl back in microwave for 30 seconds)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, and sugar. Add the chocolate mixture, salt and vanilla and whisk until blended. Finally, add the flour in two additions, whisking until fully incorporated.
- Pour half the batter in the prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Lay mints on top side by side until a full layer of mints is formed and then pour remaining batter on top and spread evenly.
- Bake 30-38 minutes or until the center is firm.
- Remove to a cooling rack and wait for at least 30 minutes before cutting into them. I then use the foil to carefully lift the whole thing out of the pan and lay on a cutting board. I cut the edges off so every piece shows the peppermint from all sides. Makes about 16 large brownies.