Summertime means it’s citrus season! And that makes me so happy because there are fewer flavors I like more than lemon! I am always so jealous of people who live in climates that support having a lemon tree in your own back yard! That has to be amazing!!
But I live in Chicago where our brutal winters would never allow a gorgeous lemon tree to survive. Oh well, at least there are grocery stores! ;)
This past Fourth of July, instead of making the traditional red, white, and blue treats, I decided to make this lucius lemon tart. A good decision for sure!!
I am a big fan of lemon bars and normally make those a few times a summer. But the problem is that…..I eat them. ALL of them. And since I wasn’t having a ton of people over for the 4th this year, I decided I needed something smaller than a whole pan of lemon bars. You know; to save me from myself!! ;)
So this lemon tart was a perfect substitution for a big pan of lemon bars. First of all, it looks so fancy! Second of all, there were about 10 slices and since we had 8 people over for our cook-out, it meant almost no left overs. (OK, yah, I had a slice the next morning for breakfast. Don’t judge! ;)
The kids were excited that they got a whole big slice to themselves!
The crust on this tart is like one big butter cookie and the filling was just the right blend of sweet to tart ratio!
I hope you are getting enough citrus in your summer! If not, you must try this simple and delicious lemon tart! And if you are, I am sure you can “squeeze” one more lemony dessert in your repertoire! I promise, you won’t be disappointed!! :)
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 c. lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. whipping cream
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place all crust ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until a ball of dough is formed.
- Using finger tips, push the dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a 12 inch tart pan that has a removable bottom. Place the tart pan on a cookie sheet for easier handling if desired.
- Bake the crust for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and using the back of a wooden spoon, push the dough down around the edges of the crust to make sure the filling has a place to rest. Place the crust aside while you prepare the filling.
- Make the filling by whisking all ingredients together. Pour the filling through a fine wire mesh strainer over the crust until the crust is full with the filling.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes. If the filling begins to brown then remove it immediately from the oven.
- Place on a cooling rack until cooled completely.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar and garnish with raspberries if desired.
- Makes 10 slices.
Try these other lemony treats: