Today was the first day back to school for my elementary aged children. And I as a high school teacher have one extra day off since I don’t have to start back till tomorrow. -How did I get so lucky? 😉
My kids were lamenting the end of summer last night but sure enough, they woke up excited this morning to go back and see all their friends. My second grader was running to the playground saying: “Weeeeeee: School!!” I love his enthusiasm!! 🙂
Since I had the day off today, I decided to make the kids a cake as a surprise for when they come home from school today. And I don’t know about you, but I am in that in between baking stage where I am not quite ready for apples and pumpkins but I’ve also had my fill of chocolate lately (if that is even possible).
So I settled on making an orange cake. I have always loved orange dreamsicles when I was a kid and with the orange cream cheese frosting that is exactly what this cake reminds me of.
I really love the flavor of orange and it is perfect for a cake. In fact, the frosting and cake turned out so lucious and fragrant that I couldn’t wait for the kids to get home. I had to sneak a slice myself. – The perks of being the baker! 😉
I do hope the kids hurry and get home or they might find no more left for them!! 🙂
Here are some items that will help you make this cake beautiful:
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase through one of these links, Two in the Kitchen makes a small percentage of the proceeds without further cost to you. We only promote items that we ourselves use and love. All opinions are 100% our own. We thank you for your support as it helps us to continue giving you great recipes through our blog!
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 12 TBLS butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 c. fresh orange juice
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
- zest from 1 orange
- 1/4 c. fresh orange juice
- 6 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 9 inch round cake pans with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk,eggs, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the zest and orange juice and mix until blended.
- Mix in the flour mixture alternatively with the buttermilk mixture in a couple of additions, starting and ending with the flour mixture, and scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the cake is no longer jiggly when moved and the top is beginning to brown and if a toothpick is inserted, the crumbs sticking should be "cake like" and not 'batter like".
- Remove to a cooling rack till cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the zest and orange juice and beat until blended. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until desired consistency is reached.
- Invert each cake onto a cake stand and frost as desired.
- Cake should be covered and refrigerated.
Try these other beautiful cakes: