I am a big fan of breakfast treats! Especially when they are fast, good, and easy to assemble. And during the Christmas season there is always a reason to make something special! It is nice to have the smell of something sweet and delicious baking in the oven on weekend mornings during the holiday season.
French toast bakes are some of my favorite breakfast treats all year long but during the Christmas season it is nice to give them a little holiday flair! Egg nog is the perfect addition to give your french toast treat a special holiday kick! The flavor of nutmeg and cinnamon along with vanilla and brown sugar is just the right combination to dazzle your tastebuds on a beautiful Christmas morning! The addition of pecans topped off with brown sugar butter gives this dish the perfect finishing touch.
This dish works well for the mornings because it is assembled the night before. All you need to do is pop it in the oven in the morning and relax as your breakfast treat fills the house with the delicious aroma of the holidays! Enjoy it with the family, share it with colleagues or bring it to a Christmas brunch. Any way you serve it, this Eggnog French Toast Casserole is sure to dazzle!
- 12 slices of French Bread (sliced on the diagonal)
- 5 eggs
- 2 c. eggnog
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1 c. coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 TBLS melted butter
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- Arrange french bread on the bottom of a 9x13 in. baking dish that is sprayed with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg nog, brown sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon and pour the whole mixture over the top of the bread. Cover the baking dish and put in the refrigerator over night.
- In the morning, pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle the top of the french toast bake with pecans. Mix together melted butter and brown sugar and pour evenly over the top of each slice of bread. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until bread is browned and the egg mixture is somewhat firm in the center.
- Take out of the oven and serve immediately.