I’m so excited that we are only a few weeks away from Valentine’s Day! It is definitely one of my favorite holidays of the year.
I love the colors. What girl doesn’t love pink, red, white, and purple all thrown into one holiday!
In anticipation of Valentine’s Day I made these pretty Cream Filled Red Velvet Mini-Cakes.
I have to make something “red velvet” every year because I just can’t get enough of it.
This year, I found these cute little heart shaped springform pans at Target.
So I used the same recipe I used for this amazing Red Velvet Bundt Cake that I made a couple years ago and I filled it with a cream cheese filling.
Over the top of the cakes, I poured this amazing chocolate pan frosting. And then I sprinkled some pretty Valentine’s decorations over the top.
The result is truly decadent!! You can see from the pictures how all of this yumminess just blends together in a fabulously moist and delicious cake!
I love using the mini pans too. There is just something special about having a mini- heart cake all to yourself!! My kids especially were so excited to get a little heart all to themselves!! If you can’t find heart pans, you can always use cupcakes. I did put some links for heart pans from Amazon at the bottom of the post.
I hope you enjoy Valentine’s Day this year! These Cream Filled Red Velvet Mini-Cakes will make your holiday extra special!!
These Kitchen tools will help you make this recipe:
- 2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBLS distilled white vinegar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 TBLS unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 oz. bottle of red food coloring
- 12 TBLS unsalted butter -softened
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 TBLS butter
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. milk
- 3 1/2 - 4 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Spray 6 mini heart pans with baking spray ( or use a 12 cupcake pan)
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Place aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vinegar and vanilla. Place aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder with red food coloring and place aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternatively together, mixing thoroughly after each addition until well blended. 2-3 incorporations apiece. Add cocoa mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans or cupcake tins.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the tops are beginning to brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to fully cool before removing from the pans
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream filling. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Fill the cakes with filling by slicing out the middle of each cake about an inch down into the center of the cake. Fill each cake with filling by using a spoon or using a pastry bag. Once the cakes are filled, cover the filling back up with the removed cake tops.
- Place the cakes on a large sheet of waxed paper.
- Prepare the icing by melting butter in a medium size saucepan over low heat.Stir in the cocoa powder and milk. Cook until the mixture thickens and just begins to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the powdered sugar until the icing is smooth and thickened. Quickly pour the frosting over the tops of the cakes. Make sure to work quickly because this frosting sets quickly.
- Allow to fully cool and then serve.
Try some of these Valentine’s Day Recipes: