During the holiday season there are always plenty of festive potlucks to attend right? And when I go to a Christmas potluck, I like to bring something that is going to impress! I mean let’s face it; everyone brings christmas cookies and brownies and Oreo balls right? Well I like to bring something that will make more of a statement. Something that people can’t wait to dig their spoon into!
A beautiful, colorful, layered trifle is just the thing to bring to a holiday potluck this year. This Candy Cane Crunch Trifle is the perfect dessert to bring to any holiday gathering! It is layered with brownies, peppermint cream, chocolate pudding, candy cane Oreos, and crushed peppermint. It is a perfect holiday treat. It is also easy to make and assemble which makes your busy holiday season much easier to manage.
The great thing about a trifle is that it doesn’t have to be layered perfectly! Just grab a spoon and start filling a trifle bowl with your beautiful layers and let all the different components shine through. And the decadence of this dessert is hard to beat. There is just something about a pudding type of dessert around the holidays that I find very satisfying. Oh, and did I mention the peppermint cream filling in this trifle? It is made with cream cheese and crushed candy cane and tastes just like a peppermint cheesecake.
I served this up to my six year old son this afternoon after his Christmas show at school and we just sat at the kitchen table, dipping our spoon into this luxurious mixture, rolling our eyes over and over in an epicurean bliss! And as I type up this post and stare at the pictures, I am ready for more…..excuse me while I go fix myself another serving!!
- 1 package of candy cane Oreos
- 1 boxed brownie mix (I used Ghirardelli's Triple Chocolate) + the ingredients to make the brownie mix as per package instructions
- 7 candy canes
- 2 packages of cream cheese (16 oz) softened
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 c. cool whip
- 1 3.4 oz package of instant chocolate pudding
- 2 c. cold milk
- Reserve 3 or 4 Oreos from the package for garnish later on and put all the rest in a large freezer bag and use a rolling pin to crush the cookies. (You really are only looking to coarsely break them apart. You don't want to completely pulverize them.) Set aside.
- Mix the brownies according to the package instructions and add half of the crushed Oreos to the mixture, stirring until well incorporated. Bake the brownies according to package instructions. Remove from the oven and allow to fully cool before cutting them into small pieces.
- In the meantime, make the cream filling. Place 5 candy canes in a plastic freezer bag and crush them. Set aside. Mix the cream cheese, milk and sugar in a medium mixing bowl until well incorporated. Carefully fold in the cool whip. Stir in the remaining crushed Oreos and crushed candy canes. Place the bowl covered in the refrigerator.
- Make the chocolate pudding according to package directions. Place the pudding covered in the refrigerator.
- Once brownies are fully cooled you may assemble the trifle. In a medium to large trifle bowl, layer the dessert with the brownies, peppermint cream and chocolate pudding. You should have enough for two layers apiece.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour (or better: overnight)
- Just before serving, you may add a dollop of cool whip, crush the last two candy canes and sprinkle them on top and add the reserved Oreos for garnish.