Even though I am sad to see summer go, I have to admit that there is a lot to get excited about with the coming of fall! I love all the bright beautiful colors of fall. And I like cool crisp evenings by the fire. I like pumpkin and apples as much as anyone. But ya know what I really like?? Chocolate!!
Ok, I really like chocolate all year long. And sometimes I think it gets forgotten in the fall with all the pumpkin and apple recipes.
And it’s easy to make chocolate “fall-ish”. Take these yummy double chocolate donuts for example. For whatever reason, I always crave donuts in the fall and not normally any other season. Maybe it’s because donuts are a “heavy” food and with the on set of cooler weather, I am ready for them.
And when you decorate them with gorgeous fall sprinkles they are absolutely irresistible, don’t you think??
And just look at that amazing chocolate glaze!! I am telling you, it is to die for!!
Really, these donuts are so easy to make and sensational to eat that there is no need to run to the donut shop.
Oh, and they are baked and not fried. (So you can eat more than one! 😉 )
So get out your donut pan and work some chocolate into your fall baking repertoire. I promise, you won’t even miss the pumpkin!! 😉
- 2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 c. melted butter
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 5 TBLSP butter
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 t. vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Grease a donut pan (will make about 9 donuts)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, both sugars, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine melted butter (make sure the butter has had time to cool or the eggs will cook) milk, sour cream, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and combine using a large wooden spoon just until incorporated.
- Put the dough into a large ziplock freezer bag and cut a large whole in the tip. Use the ziploc to squeeze the dough once around into each crevice in the donut pan. It will make 9 donuts.
- Bake the donuts for approximately 12-13 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan slightly before popping them out and placing on a cooling rack.
- After donuts have completely cooled, prepare the glaze.
- Place the sugar, butter and milk in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat, stirring with a large whisk until it boils. (about 3-4 minutes) Continue boiling and stirring for another minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Pour the sauce into a medium bowl and add the chocolate chips and vanilla and stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Using your hands, dip the top of each donut into the glaze and immediately sprinkle each one with decorations. (If you wait even a few seconds, the sprinkles won't stick.) Use your whisk to stir the glaze before you dip each donut to make the glaze stick better.
- Serve immediately after decorating.
- Donuts are best eaten right away. They may be stored in a container for next day eating and they will still taste good but they taste their best right after making them!
Glaze recipe adapted from “Chocolate from the Cake-Mix Doctor”
Try these other breakfast recipes:
Nutella, Peanut Butter and Banana Braid
Alyssa @ My Sequined Life says
These donuts look great! I tend to be a fall donut baker, too. Love the chocolate frosting and those sprinkles are adorable!
Thank you Alyssa! I’m glad you agree that fall=donuts!! 🙂
They look delicious, I love chocolate frosted donuts!
Thank you Michael!!
Cindy @ Pick Fresh Foods says
Double chocolate…yes! These look so amazing. I love that frosting and that they are baked. I can’t wait to try these little gems 😀
Thank you Cindy. You can’t go wrong with lots of chocolate, right!!
Michele @ Two Raspberries says
double chocolate! thats all ya need to say to me 😉 Renee these look so good 😉
Thank you Michele! 🙂
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl says
Let me just take a few minutes and stare at these beauties. Donuts are a favorite so I have to try these!
Thank you Pamela! There is something about sprinkles that are mesmerizing right!!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
I’m with you, Renee! I’m sad to see summer go because I don’t want the colder temps to set in, but I love everything about fall, from the apples, to pumpkins and cooler weather. These double chocolate donuts look incredible! Sounds like the perfect treat to ring in the fall season with!
Exactly Gayle! In many ways, fall is my favorite season with all the beautiful colors and delicious flavors, but it also means winter is coming…..brrrr!!
Jen Litz says
My mom use to make us donuts growing up but they were fried (talk about fattening) but never made chocolate with chocolate frosting, or sprinkles for that matter. Seeing how much I love chocolate all I can say is OMG…need to try these!
I like donuts that are fried for sure. But when you fry them, unless you have a great oven hood, they stink up the house. And then, of course, there is the whole fattening business! 😉 I think you’d like these donuts for sure. Maybe even Nick would eat them! 😉
Around Halloween time, I always think about chocolate as much as I do pumpkin and apple treats. These donuts look amazing with all of that luscious glaze on top! Pinning. 🙂
That’s true about Halloween and chocolate Marcie. In fact, Halloween is the one time of year I crave candy bars. (I really need NOT to buy them this year until Halloween actually gets here and not a month in advance!!) 😉 Thanks for the pin!!
Jessica @ Jessica in the Kitchen says
These doughnuts look fabulous. You have me feeling so hungry for them over here!
Thank you Jessica!! 🙂
Melanie @ Carmel Moments says
I haven’t made donuts in a long time. They look fabulous! Love me some chocolate. 🙂
This is the first time I made donuts this season and now I can’t get enough! Thank you for the kind words Melanie! 🙂
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
I looooove doughnuts. TOO much! And gosh, I was excited about the coming of fall, then we got into a heat wave. It’s been 90s-100 for days!
You need to share some of that hot weather our Chicagoland way Dorothy. Stop hogging it all!! 😉
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
Oh how I love donuts. I need to buy myself a donut pan! It is so much easier than frying them up. And healthier too. Love the sprinkles on these donuts Renee, it’s getting me excited for fall!
Yes you DO need to buy a donut pan Natalie! Baked is definitely the way to go!! 😉
Kate @ The Semisweet Sisters says
Wow! Those look so yummy & even better than the store bought ones. Love the sprinkles!
Thank you Kate! 🙂
Oh my gawsh these donuts look awesome, Renee! I love LOVE how thickly you piled on that gorgeous frosting and your photos are outta-this-world gorgeous, girl! Pinned. 🙂
Thank you so much for the pin and compliments girl! 🙂
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
I say YES to chocolate in the morning!! These donuts look heavenly – all that glorious chocolate – pinned!
Thank you Trish!! Chocolate is not just optional, it is necessary in the morning right!? 😉
I am sad to see summer go too but really do love fall baking. Especially baked donuts. These look amazing! I love the double chocolate in here and the sprinkles are so so pretty and festive 🙂
Thank you Kelly!! 🙂
Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) says
These look and sound amazing! Thanks for linking up at SNF!!